2022 STATE OFFICES GUIDE
At the New Mexico Business Coalition, we understand that it’s important that each voter is educated in every election, so they can be well-informed, and vote correctly- the person and their positions are more important than the party.
We believe that it’s important that voter’s are careful who they vote for as decisions made by those in high-ranking state office positions will have a major impact on how government policies are enacted in the state while helping to keep our government effective and organized. So at NMBC, we encourage all voters to look at the qualifications, experience, and stated positions of each candidate, not their party affiliation.
NEW MEXICO STATE GOVERNOR
CURRENT JOB PERFORMANCE
- NM is now #1 in the nation for having the most people on welfare; more HERE.
- NM has had the highest unemployment rate in the nation for months and was recently listed worst in the nation on WalletHub’s list of hardest working states; more HERE.
- Only 31% of NM children are able to read at grade level and only 25% are competent in math; more HERE.
- Governor Lujan Grisham seems obsessed with a narrative that ‘abortion is healthcare,’ recently issuing an executive order pledging $10 million tax dollars to expand abortion access; more HERE. How about putting that money towards something we all agree on, like fighting crime?
- Under her authority, NM judges are releasing repeat offenders under the context of ‘judicial and bail reform,’ even those accused of killing multiple people; more HERE.
- Investing in Education- dedicated to uplifting every student, parent, educator, and school in New Mexico.
- Growing our Economy & Creating Jobs- top priority has been to grow and diversify New Mexico’s economy—because booming industry and job opportunities all across the state are critical.
- Promoting Public Safety- addressing the root causes of crime, and ensuring law enforcement offices across New Mexico have the resources and the tools they need to keep communities safe.
- Affordable Healthcare & Public Health- committed to making affordable, high-quality, and comprehensive health care available to every New Mexican.
- Protecting our Air, Land, & Water- continue to take bold action to address the climate crisis, create clean energy jobs, and protect critical natural resources.
- Saving Money for Families & Businesses- believes in putting money directly into their pockets and addressing the issues people care about most.
- Bachelors Degree from Washington State University in 1996
- GrDip in Meteorology from Mississippi State University
- Certified meteorologist in 1998 and the Chief Meteorologist for Albuquerque’s CBS and FOX affiliates (KRQE) soon after
- Ran for NM Senate in 2020, lost by a 6.1% margin to Ben Ray Lujan
- Crime- End Catch & Release, Fight for Tougher Laws, Secure the Border, Fund & Support the Police, Target Illegal Drugs
- Economy- Permanent Tax Relief for the Middle Class and Working Families, Expand the health care workforce, Focus on re-employment, not un-employment, Unleash New Mexico Oil and Gas Production, Gross Receipts Tax Cut for Consumers
- Oil & Gas- believes every
New Mexican should share in the
significant revenue contributions
of the energy industry every year;
in a predictable, recurring way.
- Abortion- pro-life, will seek a middle ground with the legislature that ends late-term abortion, only permitted up to 15 weeks and in cases involving rape, incest, and when a mother’s life is at risk.
- Election Integrity- believes we must make it easy to vote, hard to cheat, and strongly supports Voter ID measures, requiring voters to show photo ID to vote.
- Education- believes in giving parents a stronger voice when it comes to their children’s education, by empowering parents, emphasizing local control, and getting money out of bureaucracy and into the classroom.
- Freedoms- believes that we need to restore the balance by putting government back in its place and allowing freedom to flourish once again in our 2nd Amendment rights and circumstances like COVID.
- Lieutenant Governor since 2019
- Attended Western New Mexico University in Silver City
- PhD at NMSU in Education
- Served in the State Senate from 2008-2018, advocating for Education, Universal Healthcare, and Mental Health Programs, along with others
- Oversaw the State Public Education Department (PED), calling for a $500 million budget investment in public school classrooms
- Ph.D., School of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Purdue University
- M.S., engineering (aero/mech interdisciplinary), Stanford University
- B.S., aerospace engineering sciences, University of Colorado
- Served as an NM senate analyst for the 60-day 2021 legislative session
- A certified member of the International Ombudsman Association trained since 2016.
- Led multi-million dollar programs at Sandia National Laboratories and Lockheed Martin, allowing him to implement key initiatives tasked by the governor.
- Elected as 1st vice chair of Bernalillo County in 2021
- Led the effort to develop and deliver a 6 year strategic plan for the Republican Party of Bernalillo County.
- Education- We have no hope of improving and diversifying our economy without improving the education of our children.
- Public Safety- In order to attract the best people and businesses to our state, including the healthcare providers that our people need, we must address the rising crime wave in our cities.
- Jobs- Any small business operating in New Mexico is at an extreme disadvantage compared to our neighbors because of the burden of Gross Receipts Tax (GRT). The entire thing should be repealed.
- Election Integrity- will advocate for localized pilot programs in our state to utilize blockchain technology to ensure election integrity
SECRETARY OF STATE
- Secretary of State since 2016
- B.A. in Political Science & Spanish from UNM, 2001
- M.A. in Political Science, 2005
- MA in Public Administration from UNM
- BA in Criminology from UNM
- BA in Spanish & Portuguese from UNM
- Served as Bernalillo County Clerk for 10 years
- Worked for U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman in his DC Office and re-election campaign in 2000
- Serves as a board member of New Mexico’s Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA)
- Serves in the New Mexico Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission
- Serves with the state Commission on Records and Archives
- Political Director for the Republican National Hispanic Assembly of NM
- District 2 Ward Chair for Sandoval County
- PTA President/Treasurer for Albuquerque Public Schools
- Program Director for CMC Corrales Mentor Center
- General Contractor
- Rental Manager
- Small Business Owner
- Court Interpreter
GOALS FOR POSITION
“Will continue to fight for voting rights and the election transparency that all New Mexicans trust.”
“Every eligible voter should be able to vote and never be burden of any costs for this right. If there is a financial need in the future to secure an identification card to vote, Audrey Trujillo will ensure that you will be able to have access.”
- United States Marine Corps Officer and Judge Advocate, 2015-2019
- JD, Ave Maria School of Law, 2014
- Bachelor’s, Ave Maria University, Political Philosophy, 2011
- High School Diploma, Gregory The Great Academy, 2007
- Bernalillo County District Attorney since 2017
- Graduated from Harvard University
- Master’s Degree from the London School of Economics
- Law degree from Stanford University
- President Obama appointee as a White House Fellow & Special Counsel to the Deputy Attorney General of the United States in 2009
- Has been managing his own private law firm since 2019
- Has managed a legal assistance office protecting service members, veterans, and their families from consumer fraud and predatory lenders.
- Served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney, training and assisting federal law enforcement officers in investigating and prosecuting crimes.
- Served as the Development Officer for the César E. Chávez Foundation.
- Former American Bar Association/Young Lawyers Division Scholar
- Former Deputy Regional President of the Hispanic National Bar Association
- Former Treasurer for the New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
- Former board member of the Rio Grande Community Development Corporation
- Protect New Mexico- Despite the consistent rise in violent crimes and crimes against personal property, there has been no effective strategy or focus to make New Mexico a safer state.
- Defend Law Enforcement- Law enforcement and the people of New Mexico deserve an Attorney General who will fight to keep police well funded and well trained to best serve their communities.
- Guard our Borders- An open border does not simply invite drug trade and human trafficking into New Mexico, it also increases the demand in the economy of criminal activity.
“As attorney general, I will use my experience as a prosecutor to fight for consumers, safeguard the environment, reform our criminal justice system and take on corruption and special interests. I will also continue to stand up to unlawful militia groups and any extremist activity that threatens our democracy.”
- Degree in Psychology , Westmar College
- Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology from NMSU, 1984
- B.A. – political science, psychology with a minor in sociology
- M.A. – public affairs
- Rotary Scholar, University of Costa Rica, in international relations and Spanish
- 600+ credit hours in finance, business, investments, economics, & management
- Served as the Founding Executive Director for Los Alamos Citizens Against Substance Abuse (non-profit), 1990-1995
- Founder of Hands Across Cultures (non-profit) in 1995
- Appointed to the Pojoaque School Board in 1994, then re-elected for two consecutive four year terms.
- Elected President of the New Mexico School Board Association
- Served as a delegate to the National School Board Association Convention for 3 years
- Elected as a Santa Fe County Commissioner 2002, then re-elected in 2006.
- Served on the National Association of Counties Board of Directors for 6 years
- Served as Chair of the Labor, Employment & Economic Development Committee for 4 years
- Served in Federal, State, Tribal, and Local Government for 23 years
- Sandoval County Treasurer for 4 years (served 2 terms)
- Served in N.M. State Treasurer’s Office
- Worked in the N.M. House of Representatives
- Served in the N.M. Senate
- Certified Public Official (NM EDGE NMSU)
- Certified Public Manager (NM EDGE NMSU)
- Certified Treasury Official (NM EDGE NMSU)
GOALS FOR POSITION
“My commitment is to ensure that your tax dollars to the State of New Mexico are legally spent, in accordance with our state’s Constitution. That we ensure trust, accountability, transparency, and the highest ethical standards to all of state government while making the best use of our funds.”
“Work on policies to ensure transparency, fairness, and equitability. Remove the gap of inequity between rich and poor, and rural and urban. Provide outreach, resources, and assistance to tribal, county and municipal government entities especially with the Local Government Investment Pool. Support financial literacy.”